Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Ivanhoe movie review...

After reading and enjoying the book Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott, I watched the movie for the Period Drama Challenge that is taking place over at Old-Fashioned Charm blog. This is my first review for that challenge. If you are interested in my thoughts of Ivanhoe, here is my review of the book. I watched the made for tv version with Sam Neil made in 1982. The movie is a lot faster than the book, but in doing this it leaves something out when trying to introduce all of the characters. This takes place during the 12th century in England. If you do not know about the background of the reasons for the dislike between the Saxons and Normans or at least some parts of history, there maybe a tad bit of confusion as to what is going on. There are joust tournaments, kidnappings, ransoms, battles, antisemitism , and even charges of witchery with the threat of burning at the stake. The movie did add more of a  love interest I thought between Ivanhoe and Rebecca compared to the movie. I probably wouldn't watch this version again. My next period drama challenge review will be Oliver.
Old-Fashioned Charm

No comments:

Post a Comment