Thursday, January 19, 2017

Refrigerated Pickling Vegetables

I have seen a few things about pickling veggies, but never tried to make them before. Great thing is that there is no canning involved in this and it was really easy to do. I used peppercorn, mustard seeds, garlic, cumin seeds, salt to add spices to the onions, cucumber and carrots. In another container I made the spices to be ground turmeric, garlic, salt, and peppercorn. I thought I added a little too much turmeric in that one, but Mr. Crafts4others loved it. Today (being Tuesday), I made another one but with onions, carrots, and bell peppers with cumin seed, garlic, sugar, salt, apple cide vinegar, peppercorns, turmeric, red pepper flakes. This is the first one that the brine had sugar in it, but that will probably make it in the end more of a sour/tart and sweet flavor. We will definitely know in the next day or so.

Here is the main Recipe that I used to create the pickled vegetables for the picture above.

This is the new one and waiting for the brine to cool before putting it in the fridge. The color looks different since I used different spices and apple cider vinegar.

Have you tried pickling before? Do you have some good recommendations of spices that go good together? 

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Interesting Colors...

That are coming together with the differen temperatures for the afghan. I am a few days behind, but thus is updated till Saturday. The yellow is really bright in the photo but in reality it still stands out but not as bad.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Some Good Leftovers...

I had made some ham balls and cut up pieces of apple with cinnamon and sugar a few days ago. They were both great as leftovers. Do you have a favorite ham ball or meat ball recipe?

Sunday, January 15, 2017

A Little Bit More Complete

on the baby granny stripe blanket I am making for my friend. I think that I am almost halfway there, not sure how long I will have it be, but want to ensure he can grow into it for awhile at least. Have you ever tried the granny blanket, whether in the round or stripe? I know this pattern is dated but just love it, and plus I like vintage items and some clothing.

Saturday, January 14, 2017

First Week Complete

for the temperature blanket and this was the result so far to the 9th of January. I am making sure now that I am at least one day behind so that I can look at the full 24 hours in order to get the true highest and lowest temps. The coldest temp so far is 13 degrees which is the purple, and (not pictured) the highest is 70 which is yellow. Has anyone decided to join in or perhaps thinking about making a blanket next year? I know some are doing blankets for just a particular month, or even just six months out of the year. Definitely next year I plan on using a different type of stitch instead of the garter.

Monday, January 9, 2017

Granny Stripe Baby Blanket

I have never been to good at crochet as I always had a hard time getting the edges even, but have always love the granny afghan. I have seen several people do a granny strip afghan for temperature blankets, so I decided to be adventurous and try my hand at crochet again. I am glad I did and am loving how quick and easy this is going so far. It will be a gift to a friend of mine who is having a baby boy. I only started working on it Friday and this is my progress until Saturday night. I think next year this pattern will be my temperature blanket.

Sunday, January 8, 2017

Temperature Blanket Update Days 1-5

I have gotten a few days behind in working on this but thought I would show my progress thru day 5. I cast on a little over 300 stitches in garter, and am using the circular needles. The highest temp so far has been 57 with the bright green color and the lowest temp 28 the light blue.

Here are the ranges I have used so far:

Bright Green 55-64
Green 45-54
Bright Blue 35-44
Light Blue 25-34

I have included both the high and low temp for each day.