Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Emma Review..

The Pride Prejudice Bicentenary Challenge (2013)
I read this book for the Austen in August event over at roofbeamreader.com. I know I am a little bit late in finishing Emma by Jane Austen. I hadn't originally planned on already reading this book yet for the classics club blog or Pride and Prejudice bicentenary challenge. I couldn't resist the Austen in August and wanted to read another Austen book anyways, after reading Pride and Prejudice earlier in the year. Anyways, on to my review. I really liked the book, and in some cases thought it was better than Pride and Prejudice. At least the fact I felt more connected to the characters, but this might have been because of the style of writing, that we knew more of the various thoughts of a few characters. One thing I have noticed or did think after reading Emma was that, her  books are not that descriptive in regards to the manner of dress etc. I loved learning about the community and the people's lives. I did think that Emma should have let things alone in a few instances, however I think because of her place in society (so to speak at least for the small town) that she felt obligated to "try" to help people. I don't think most of the time she realized the chaos she sometimes created, until well afterwards. In the beginning of the book I do think she is a little inexperienced and immature, which at some point everyone in life goes through. I was not a fan of either of the Elton's, they were very annoying and mean. I am still a little meh about Frank Churchill, I still didn't quite forgive him, he could have acted a little differently. I enjoyed many of the characters and to learn their different types of lifestyles.  Have you read Emma? What are your thoughts?

I rank this 5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment